Re: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org = Surfing the web on your Newton 12

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 04:23:13 PST

On Dec 4, 2003, at 6:09 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> Date: 3 Dec 2003 23:27:03 -0800
> Subject: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org = Surfing the web on your
> Newton 12
> From: "RAParker" <RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET>
>
> One of the tricks that I've wanted to do with my Newton 120 (besides
> email)
> is to be able request web pages and have the text information
> downloaded
> for reading later, preferable before I wake up in the a.m.
>
> ,,,
> Email the URL to a server and in return the server sends you the text
> of
> the web page you requested. Evidently, this is done all the time...the
> web
> never ceases to amaze me.
>
> Check out the information here:
>
> http://www4mail.org/

fyi. before the days of NIE (and still for 1.x devices), email proxy
(still supported in Newt's Cape, btw) was major (only?) way to "browse"
(albeit, slowly).

as I recall, Pierre Omidyar(sp?) better known later as founder of eBay,
started with a shareware service that served web pages via email.

Steve
weyer_at_kagi.com
http://communicrossings.com/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html