Re: [NTLK] Please Talk Me Out of This! - Long Sorry.

From: Matt Janeczek (MJJ14_at_aol.com)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 16:50:56 PDT

Well, let me give you a little of my insight on this matter. I am very
dedicated to Apple computer, and have been since I was in grade school
using Apple IIe's and later Macintoshes. Apple computer is one of the
few companies in the world to have such a rich history in technology,
innovation, and vision. What is it that makes Apple different from any
other computer company out there? Yes, Apple does make superior
hardware and software from the strict objective viewpoint. They are
always on the cutting edge of new and great things. But what about the
other side of the coin? Apple is more than a company making computers
to make a proft. Apple was started back in the 70's because a man had a
vision to change the world. Back then, when nobody ever heard of having
a personal computer in their house, they thought both Steves were crazy!
  Yet, they kept on going with their vision and soon made the Apple II,
with wide success, and later the Macintosh. Evem after they both left
the company, this ideology continued with successive CEO's (some good
some not so good, but that's another story). Apple has survived some
very hard times and has flourished in some very good times. It's all
about Thinking Different, about smashing that large movie screen with a
sledgehammer, about challenging people's minds and potential, about
giving the human race tools they can use to change the world. It's
about not conforming to the everyday norms, its about standing out from
the crowd and being noticed. It's about enduring hardships from many,
and confiding in the Apple friends you have. The list can go on and on,
and I don't think anyone can sum up Apple computer in words, paragraphs,
or even novels. It is something that exists, an enigma of sorts.
People will hate you, persecute you, make fun of you, but you know deep
down inside the real truth begind it all...

Now where does the Newton fit into all of this? Well, just where an
SE/30 or a Mac Portable, or a GeoPort modem does. Of course the Newton
will one day (maybe not for years to come, but there is a finite time)
be surpassed. One day some other company will get it "right" so to
speak. People don't use an SE/30 or a GeoPort modem on a day to day
basis, for the most part. Of course you have the small following of
people who swear by it, and they have every right to, since most Apple
products were and are pure genius. You have the right to choose, and
for your own reasons. If you want to take a purely objective outlook on
the whole issue, of course other PDA's will be a little better here or
there. Everyone has differing needs. But if you look at the picture
more closely, the Newton will forever be the greatest PDA ever made,
considering the time frame it was made, the software produced for it,
and the pathway it has led for other PDA's to follow. No matter if you
are a member of this email list, or a member of a MUG in your town, or
just a strong advocate of Apple, you all know what I am talking about!
As I sit here and look at my PowerMac 6100 chugging away with the Vista
AfterDark module, it fills me with pride to know at one time, I was on
the cutting edge with this computer. The same goes with the Newton. As
time goes on, the memory fades for most people, but others refuse to let
it die. It is on that note that I will end my email. Of course, all
this may be meaningless to some, but to others, this is what makes all
the difference...

-Matt

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html