Re: [NTLK] Please Talk Me Out of This! - Long Sorry.

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 15:27:38 PDT

for me it's the way that everything on the Newt is so
integrated.
I NEVER use a keyboard and I rarely ever use the built
in screen keyboard. (usually only to type in
passwords)
The assist is awsome.
But mainly it's the intuitive way that the unit works.
I've played with Palm devices, Windows CE devices and
have been using pen entry handhelds since the AT&T EO.
I owned or used practically every one of the early PDA
devices from all manufacturers and found that the
Newton has that certain ability to almost anticipate
my needs.
I recently read a review of Microsoft's tablet and
handwriting recognition and how they say that they
will "soon have a combination of text and drawing on
the same page" and how the next release will have
"annotation capabilities"
uh, well I've been doing these things like...ever
since I picked up the Newt.
It scares me that nothing out there can match the
functionality of the Personal (that's the <P> in PDA)
interaction like the Newt and what if nothing ever
reaches the skill of the Newt? Like never? I like the
Newt and I like what it's done for me, but I don't
expect to be using this same device in, say...20 years
from now!
So, I always try new devices and it saddens me that
while some of these units are sweet, they are
seriously lacking in the personal interaction between
the user and the machine.
I've said this here many times before and I'll say it
again. To me, a PDA should be "PERSONAL". Machines
should be designed to make the day to day life of
people easier, not harder. Why should I adapt my way
of doing things to fit how a machine works, when it
should be the other way around? I will not modify my
behaviour or the way I do things just because a
computer can't understand the method in which I choose
to function.
I guess I expect too much...but then again, I own a
Newt so it's not really too much to ask!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- David Deranian <deranian_at_mac.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone-
>
> I'm addressing this to members of the community that
> have had more
> experience with other PDA devices than I have had.
> I've ONLY
> experienced the Newton, since buying my first one at
> the MacWorld show
> in Boston ten years ago!
>
> Since then I've owned every model, including the
> 2000U that I use now,
> along with a brand new (never been used 2100) that's
> in storage as a
> backup when my 2000u finally craps out someday.
>
> So last night I'm on the Pen Computing website, and
> I read this review
<snip>
> Having said all that, with programs like
> TimeReporter and PocketMoney
> available for the Palm operating system, why don't
> any of you other
> serious Newton people out there consider this Sony
> Clie a possible
> "Newton Killer"? In other words, when I read much of
> what people here
> on the list are asking the Newton to do today,
> especially in the area
> of wireless connectivity and Internet applications
> like a fast browser,
> the Clie looks like it should blow the Newton right
> out of the water.
>
> Believe me, I'm not trying to be a troublemaker
> here, I'm just trying
> to get past the "blind faith" issue. Even in that
> New York Times
> article about us Newton users a few months ago, we
> were mildly accused
> of being stubborn and more than just slightly
> eccentric about our
> Newtons. Assuming we can bury all that "blind faith"
> stuff, and get to
> the unemotional facts, what is the biggest stumbling
> block for not
> leaving the Newton behind and replacing it with the
> Sony Clie that
> looks to me like it will do everything the Newton
> can do now, and a lot
> more.
>
> Yes I am playing devil's advocate here. Is it the
> screen size and form
> factor mostly? Handwriting recognition? I feel
> strongly that there MUST
> be something I'm missing that would help me to
> understand WHY a device
> as powerful and comprehensive as the Sony Clie UX50
> would not be
> considered a serious contender by the people on this
> list as a Newton
> replacement. Could the newest Palm Operating System
> be that bad?
>
> I apologize for being so verbose.
> -David
>
> Here's the Link to see the Clie:

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/

=====
"When any government, or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know', the end result is tyranny and oppression , no matter how holy the motives"
     -Robert Heinlein, Revolt in 2100