Re: [NTLK] MP 120 Problem

From: Andrei Chichak (acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 08:24:27 PDT

At 08:33 AM 8/26/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Chances are very rare.
>Though the MP120 has a backup battery (button cell) but I am pretty sure
>that this is only to keep the RTC running.
>But of course you can give it a try:
>remove the backup battery as well for a few hours and than try to repower
>the Newt.

Newtons use a flash file system. Removing the backup batteries will not
erase the flash memory, only the proper programming sequence will clear the
memory.

2x00s don't even use a backup battery, they use a very large capacitor
called a super-cap. That is why, when you leave a 2x00 on the shelf for a
long time, it will reset, complain and have the wrong date, but no data
will be lost.

Compare this to (at least the early) windows CE boxes, where a set of dead
batteries will have you restoring your data from your backups. You do have
backups don't you? No? Well, silly you! You are sentenced to reenter all of
your contacts, notes, meetings, apps...

Andrei

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html