[NTLK] [ANN] LanternPatch and Linksys WPC11v3 support

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 00:58:38 PDT

Hi all,

I finally figured out why my Lantern patch wasn't working. I was
configuring the Linksys WPC11v3 in ad hoc mode (like the Lucent
Wavelan Silver) while it should be in Infrastructure mode (the Lucent
really works in ad hoc mode which is weird).

Anyway. I'm pleased to announce Lantern Patch, a workaround for
Lantern's 31 characters limitation. I expect Hiroshi to support more
cards now. My newly acquired Linksys WPC11v3 works with a patch
you'll find in the archive (it registers Hiroshi's driver with
additional details to support the Linksys).

All this comes with source code and binaries here:

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/rustines/
http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/Patches/LanternPatch.img.bin
http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/Patches/LanternPatch.zip (binaries only)

It's totally useless if you don't have a card with a long name. You
can try to make your prism2/lucent based card work with Hiroshi's
driver thanks to the Linksys WPC11v3 enabler I've done by just
modifying the product name. To get the product name with your Newton,
you can use GetCardInfo.
http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/Bowels/Using_The_Name_Server.sit.hqx
http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/GetCardInfo/

Enjoy.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/