Re: [NTLK] Ah, SSH

From: BOURGUIGNON D DvSI/SNPI MTY (didier.bourguignon_at_francetelecom.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 03:35:48 PDT

Sch=E4fer
> Envoy=E9 : vendredi 22 ao=FBt 2003 11:18
> =C0 : newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> Objet : Re: [NTLK] Ah, SSH
>=20
>=20
> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 07:11, Ian Meyer wrote:
> > ssh is basically, functionally, having access to the=20
> command line of=20
> > another system remotely.
> >=20
> > thats about it. you can do anything on that line that you=20
> could do if=20
> > you were sitting at the other remote computer in front of=20
> the terminal
> As a protocol SSH is more than that. To my knowledge,=20
> actually, it is a
> secure tunnelling protocol. The SSH program uses this as a secure
> telnet.
>=20

  SSH is the name of :

  - a secure communication protocole (normalized by the IETF)
  - a set of tools using ... the SSH protocole

  I know, it's not cool one name for two things ....

  The goals of SSH are two :

  - strong autentication (by public key autentication)
  - strong encryption of communications (AES, Blowfish 3DES etc ...)

  You can do a lot of things :

  - replace telnet, rcp, rlogin, rsh by ssh (PuTTy est the best client =
on Windows environment, OpenSSH on Unices). The communications are =
encrypte. So noone can use a sniffer to capture your username and =
password during a session starting.
  - Tunneling non secure protocols like pop, smtp, snmp etc ....
  - create a SSO-like system using a ssh agent (Sigle Sign On =3D ONE =
autentication --> lots of communications (without autentication =
anymore)).

Cordialement
Didier BOURGUIGNON

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html