Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V3 #431

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 02:59:01 PDT

mind that there has been a post on the list from a guy on the list that=20=

has successfully used a CF GPS card in the newton. i think he brought=20
the newt with him on a tokyo trip, if it sounds familiar.

the CFcard GPS receivers in general should mimic serial thru an adapter=20=

and thus work in the newt, but there might be software limitations for=20=

PC card use. normally a CF card will draw much less power than a=20
regular PCMCIA. on the other hand, it is a shame to make the already=20
large newton even larger with an obtrusive antenna. after all, its also=20=

becoming fragile with the antenna part sticking out of the unit.

i would rather go for an external unit with a separate power supply. a=20=

rugged external unit is also in many cases water and dust resistant in=20=

an other way than the newt. as for true portability and default newton=20=

form factor, the centennial card, i think it is quite rare today... it=20=

might be better with a "mouse" type of device.

/ =AE

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html