Re: [NTLK] eMate HWR, memory and 130 NIE queries

From: Robert Masters (rdm_at_enfield.iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 19:54:17 PDT

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:27:41AM -0400, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> Robert Masters wrote:
> > Has anyone ever tried migrating the cursive recogniser to an eMate?
> > Is such an act even theoretically possible?
> Probably almost impossible.
Oh well...

> > Also, does anyone have a clue about the hardware required for the eMate
> > memory upgrade?
> Well, it's a little memory card with some flash and DRAM on it. What more do
> you want to know?
(Dry)One presumes there are also some scattered passive components and metal
tracks joining them. I was thinking more along the lines of availability,
sources, and costs. Although there was a small bit of me wondering about
cloneability.

> > Lastly, but not least, I have read in various places conflicting remarks
> > about NIE and the MP130. What is the real deal? Does it work on a 130,
> > or not? I ask because I'd rather like to be able to set up a portable
> > telnet session to my office, without using a laptop - or my wife's
> > eMate!
> NIE 1.1 will work on a 130. This will use modem dial-up connections. Peruse
> the NIE 1.1 users manual to see what it will do:
> http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/software/NIE1.1UsersManual.pdf
> NIE 2.0, which is necessary to support Ethernet and WiFi connections, will
> NOT run on a 130.
The light dawns! Hmmm...I wonder if there is any way of upgrading the
internal memory of a 130? Things get awful tight awful quick if you want
to use a card modem! (Thinks: Aha! An excuse to upgrade! Quick! The
Cheque Book!)

--
Rob Masters                                                     |PARC- Model /\
"I spy, with my little eye, something that's about to be-"      |Rocketry    ||