[NTLK] (OT) LEGAL was: COMIC STRIP FACTORY

From: Paul Miller (pauljosephmiller_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 12:02:33 PDT

Not to be argumentative but the artists who drew the
characters and backgrounds don't necessarily own part
of the copyright unless this is stated in the original
documentation or program notes. They could have
performed their creative tasks under contract with the
original owner/pub of the program and therefore
wouldn't "own" part of anything
(fee-for-service...boy, I know about that...try
writing exams for school districts and see who owns
them!).
So back to who orignally OWNS the program. What I
wonder is: if a business entity owns a program and
that company dissolves, unless previously/legally
outlined, who in the company then owns the program or
does it revert to some kind of public domain (of
course, the original argument) after a number of
years. If the company's not around who would collect
the royalties anyway?
All this being I commend any software copy owner who
has the integrity to investigate these situations
instead of just "giving" product to the rest of us on
request. I just thought that I should make this
statement since I instigated the whole Comic Strip
Program thing.

Thanks to all,
Paul

--- John Derbyshire <johnderbyshire_at_ntlworld.com>