[NTLK] newton 2100 power fried?

From: Jeffrey D. Knapp (jeff.d.knapp_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 08:35:58 PDT

Hi all - I received a MP2000 upgraded to a 2100 from a friend a while
ago. I put in a set of new batteries, and started using it adding info.
I never could sync it b/c i didn't have any of the cables. Yesterday my
friend gave me a power adapter he thought worked w/the MP, and so I
plugged in the power adapter that he gave me. Smoke started coming out
of the jack as well as a burning smell, (that still persists now 24
hours later). I unplugged it quickly. I tried putting in a set of
fresh batteries later last night and now the newton boots up to the
initial Apple screen with the chime, then shuts off, then turns back on
again then shuts off. This continues for like 3 more times, then
refuses to load up. Wait a few hours, and it does the same.

I opened up the case, and there's a little black charring around a small
black cube that's sodered onto the board. The cube is loose having
become slightly detached from the board, but regardless, the unit still
powers up to the start screen and shuts off as before.

My questions - is the data on this newton salvageable? If so, how do I
get it out of there? What are my options as far as the newton - can I
just buy a new motherboard and install it, or should I just buy another
newton and keep this for parts?

thanks!

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html