Re: [NTLK] MP2K power switch repair

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 00:04:15 PDT

The Newt power switch is a very little SMD switch with three contacts, two
of them are used. I do not believe that a repair of that switch would be
possible.
I rather think that it would be possible to replace it with the same or a
similar type of switch.

Regarding troubleshooting it strongly depends on how you are equipped.
Of course the first action should be to exclude other factors like software
and/or corrupt PCMCIA cards.
If this is done without success, it might be a failure of the switch rather
than a broken trace on the logic board PCB. The switch is heavily used
(thats why I let my Newt almost always switch off automatically, thus
reducing the cycles of the power switch to 50%) and therefore it may be worn
out.
I would suggest to open the Newt and to disconnect the power switch. You can
easily trace the two (red and black) wires to the switch, while the switch
itself is well hidden and hard to access. The wires go to a connector on the
logic board, which you can disconnect.
At this stage you can do two things:
mesure the continuity/contact resistance of the switch in ON position and to
check whether it switches off correctly.
You can also connect the two contacts near the connector on the logic board
using a short piece of wire and check whether your Newt will switch on.

I am curious to read your first findings.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html