Re: [NTLK] eMate memory upgrades (was: My Impossible Requests)

From: Daniel Padilla (dproldan_at_telefonica.net)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 23:34:03 PDT

>> The board doesn't look very complex at all. The traces are a bit too
small
>> to do with a PCB router, but someone could probably either etch them or
get
>> a place like ExpressPCB to do it. In fact, if enough of us want them,
then
>> ExpressPCB would actually be pretty cheap.
>
>Except if those DRAM chips (or a suitable, preferably low-power
replacement)
>are made of unobtanium... flash chips I'm less worried about.

     The card has more than 2 layers.
     The RAM chips are no problem, they don't need to be toshiba, most
manufacturers have a chip with the same configuration and specs, and many
laptop PC memory boards have them.

    ExpressPCB can make those boards in no time, but we would have to send
them diagrams.

    I Have another idea. Usually, you can stick memory chips one on top of
the another, solder most pins between them and wire the "chip select" pin
to the corresponding signal in the memory socket or controller. I have done
that before in an old laptop PC.

D.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html