Re: [NTLK] NewtSync problems

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 06:22:31 PDT

on 23/04/03 06:25, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_euronet.nl wrote:

> On woensdag, apr 23, 2003, at 09:40 Europe/Amsterdam, Chris Searles
> wrote:
>> My network consists of an Ethernet hub, to which are attached: my Cube,
>> my PowerBook, a LaserWriter printer, a DSL modem, and (until now) my
>> Newt via NCU, which still works in Classic.
>
> I never used a hub, only cross cable sand a router and what Betty said
> is 100% right about a router, maybe somebody with a hub cares to
> comment. (does a hub also assign internal IP numbers to the different
> port? I assume it does)
> On a sidenote, I don't get the fact that you get two IP numbers,
> though, should normally just be one...

If it's really a hub, then I doubt that this is the problem. The hub is the
dumbest piece of equipment you can find on your network. It merely
replicates all information coming from a port to all other ports. If it
works in Classic, then it should work in X, so it's not the hub.

-Laurent.

C Programmer's Disease n.: The tendency of the undisciplined C programmer to
set arbitrary but supposedly generous static limits on table sizes (defined,
if you're lucky, by constants in header files) rather than taking the
trouble to do proper dynamic storage allocation.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html