Re: [NTLK] NewtSync problems

From: Chris Searles (csearles_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 00:10:38 PDT

On Wednesday, April 23, 2003, at 08:43 Uhr, bettyy_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> I assume that you've installed the software on your Mac and your Newt.
> You
> launch Newtsync on your mac, and click on the synchronize button, then
> look
> at the bottom of the window where you should see "Connecting to Newton
> Listening at 10.0.1.x.
>
> Next you launch Newtsync on your Newton. Connect via: TCP/IP. Then
> enter
> the IP address than your mac is listening at: 10.0.1.x. Click connect
> and
> your connection slip should launch, choose your mode of connection (in
> my
> case, it's via the Wavelan card) and it should start synching.

Been there, done that. (I've also turned off the Personal File Sharing
as recommended elsewhere.) Now I get the error message "Error
instantiating endpoint".

Three other things I still don't understand:

1) Why does NewtSync offer me TWO different numbers to choose form?
Which one do I take?

2) Every time I start NewtSync I get a new and different IP number
it's listening for my Newton at.

3) Do the Network Preferences for TCP/IP on the Mac have to agree with
those on the Newt, i.e. "Manually" on the Mac, "Manually" on the
Newton? (I'm particularly wary of trying to change any such settings
on the Mac. I assume Mac OS X knew what it was doing when it set up
these preferences, e.g. as DHCP. Or should these be changed to
"Manual"?)

Thanks for your help, Betty, but I think the problems are more general
and TCP related and until now nobody's been able to explain these in a
clear and simple way. : - (

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html