Re: [NTLK] eMate hinge problem

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 14:36:16 PDT

> This is annoying. I had read about the dreaded eMate hinge problem. I
> recntly bought an eMate on eBay. When I got it there were no problems
> opening and closing the eMate. It opened effortlessly. After a few
> days, everything seemed just dandy. Today, I opened it and it would
not
> go beyond 90 degree open without some major effort which I didn't try.

> I then closed it and it now doesn't really open. I certainly could
> force it but that would certainly result in disaster.

Juan,

make sure you do not open the eMate at all, neither by forcing it nor by
any other way. You are right that it would result in disaster.

Provided you haven't yet killed the display ribbon cable, you can fix
this
quite easily yourself, see

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

If you think you can't do this, I can do it for you if you want, and
most
likely I will also be able to fix the cable if you killed it.
Please mail me off-list if you are interested.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html