[NTLK] [OT] TiBook wireless range (compared to Newton)

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 08:22:23 PDT

I just put an AirPort card in my Titanium PowerBook, and the range is so
poor it's almost useless. Unless it's in the same room as the base station
(SMC7004VWBR) it can't hang on to a connection for more than a few minutes.
This is in an old house, so the signal only has to contend with one or two
layers of plaster and wood -- we're not talking about brick or metal.

Also, sometimes the signal strength seems to fluctuate a lot while the
PowerBook is just sitting on a table, nothing in the house is moving at all,
and no cordless phone is in use. Is this normal? What could be causing
this?

I believe the base station is OK because my Newton holds a solid wireless
connection all over the house and out in the yard.

I had heard TiBooks weren't great in this regard because of the metal case
surrounding the internal antenna. But this is ridiculous. Can anyone tell
me if my experience is normal, or should I suspect a defective AirPort card?
Would it be much better with an iBook?

Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html