Re: [NTLK] root on OSX

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 04:14:37 PDT

On woensdag, apr 16, 2003, at 10:38 Europe/Amsterdam, Matthew Robinson
wrote:
> Having spent many years unix adminning I have the following advice.
> day2day use: be a cretin user - have little or no permissions to do
> anything
> to anything but your own files
> installation of new software - root - and take it steady!

Two questions from a Unix/Mac OS X novice/Newton user:

I am Admin at all times, never considered this dangerous, should I?

Why would I have to be Root for installation of new software? My Admin
password seems all I need...

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html