Re: [NTLK] [OT] More Rumours

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 05:37:40 PDT

on 04/14/03 12:14 AM, Geoffrey Hall at bypass_at_ozemail.com.au wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this has been submitted already
>
> Posting at the Reg about an Apple tablet which seems interesting...
>
> Apple contracts Quanta to build wireless display - report By Tony
> Smith Posted: 14/04/2003 at 11:57 GMT Apple is planning to launch a
> Tablet PC-style wireless display terminal, the Chinese language
> Economic Daily News has reported. Taiwanese contract notebook
> manufacturer Quanta has been signed to produce the machine, the paper
> claimed citing unnamed sources. The story will stoke ongoing rumours
> that the Mac maker is working on a tablet Mac. Hints that such a
> device was being worked on Apple's labs have been surfacing since last
> Autumn.....
>
> Geoff

Ah, but a wireless display, while cool, isn't a Newt. I would assume that
it requires a Bluetooth and/or AirPort-equipped Mac and would, in essence,
be a "dumb" terminal. Much like in the Unix workstation world where one can
get "X terminals" that are just enough computer to run X Windows and connect
across the network to the workstation that's actually dishing up the compute
power. But, if the range is great enough, I know that it just might get me
to get off my ancient PowerComputing running 8.1... subject to approval by
the better half... ;-)

- Eric.

What if the 'Hokey-Pokey' really IS what it's all about??
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html