Re: [NTLK] Wireless screen from Apple?

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 13:27:41 PDT

>Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:50:57 +0100
>From: "Joel M. Sciamma" <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>

><http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/30239.html>

        Ah, always pays to read the digest before posting, I was just
about to contribute the same link.
I might have said it before, but I hate the idea of a "dumb"
terminal, and I can only think of a limited traget group - people
with desktop Macs. But was it not the Steve himself who declared the
year of the laptop? Unless Apple really wants to rob people blind (as
in "Get a desktop. What else do you want, a Mac on the go? Well get a
PowerBook. Anything else? Yeah, not that it would be superfluous now
you have a notebook already, what do you think of th=EDs portable
display?") I think that an autonomous device would find more
approval. I also have a certain feeling about Apple releasing a
device that was "weaker" featurewise than the competition.
        All in all, I think that a full-scale tablet that *on
request* turns into a terminal within range of a Mac would be an
Apple-like solution. Think about it, look at the Mac in front of you
- Apple puts tons of effort into reducing the machine, to make it
melt into the background. Think Cube, think G4 iMac, these look great
almost everywhere, the are pieces of design, nothing says "ugly
computer, spoils my place". The portable display would serve to make
the Mac even more invisible, integrated, the screen that is your hub
to everything, your Mac, your TV, your stereo, even your fridge if
you want to. It would therefore be a breach in concept not to make it
autonomous. The hub should be always with you, and take advantage of
the technology that surrounds you. That is convergence. A pure
display is not, it would remind you of its shortcomings every time
you leave the house, every time you have to lug a laptop, everytime a
tablet would be all you need on the go.

just a few thoughts,

Oliver :)

--
I can see by your coat my friend that you're from the other side
There's just one thing I got to know