[NTLK] Is this newton dead?

From: Christian Burk (cmburk75_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 07:02:59 PDT

I have a newton that has served me faithfully for about a year.

This morning, I was working on it, creating To Dos, editing notes, etc.
Then, I decided to fax something to work so that I could copy it off
for a morning meeting.

Well, I insert the modem card and in short order, the newton shuts
down. I can't figure out how to get it running again. I've plugged it
in, held down the power key while hitting the reset button and vice
versa. I've removed the battery and the cards while doing this. I've
also kept them in while doing. Nothing.

Does anyone know if my newton has died?

(Here's some backstory that may or may not be related. I've been
noticing strange restarts while nothing seems to be going on, but when
the machine is touched, even. I thought it might be static electricity,
perhaps. Today, I think such a thing happened. The newton restarted,
even though I wasn't even touching it. I had simply opened up my file
cabinet, several feet away and not even touching the newton. After that
spontaneous restart, I noticed that I couldn't see all my packages,
many of which are on a flash card (pretec, 32mb).

Also, I had been changing the internet preferences, adding one for
modem, that had been lost in yet another spontaneous restart this
morning. In fact, as I'm writing this, it gets me to realizing how
often this really happened.)

Any verdict?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Christian Burk

ps Now, I have to figure out how to take notes on paper at a meeting
I'm about to go to.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html