[NTLK] Newt and PC software question

From: Edward Humes (ehumes_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 16:21:00 PDT

Hello,

I'm new to the list and the Newton, but I already love my mp 2000, and
have to resist the temptation to explore its capabilities when I should
be attending to other tasks. So far I've only been able link to my
Windows PC with Newton Connection Utilities; my iBook is out of the
picture until I can get a serial port adapter.

My question concerns what PC software I should have in addition to NCU.
When I backup the Newton, a dialog box asks me to choose a translator:
Lotus Notes or Sidekick for Windows are the options offered, although
it won't actually let me choose either them, probably because I have
neither of these apps on my PC.

Is there something equivalent to the Palm Desktop I need to have on my
PC in order to resolve this backup/syncing issue, and to have the
information on my Newton (contacts, etc) backed up and accessible on my
PC? What are the options? (I suppose I'm going to have to resolve a
similar question for my iBook fairly soon, too, so any suggestions on
the mac side of the equation would be great, too.)

I apologize for the basic nature of this question. I've found ample
info on various websites about packages available for the newton, but
can't seem to find much about windows software that matches up with the
newt.

Thanks.

Ed Humes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html