Re: [NTLK] Apple iPad

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 18:28:16 PST

On 05.4.03 at 0:57:44, Peter H. Coffin wrote:
> One way to handle this (possibly VERY simply and inexpensively) would be
> onboard bluetooth and a combo dual Type 2/single Type 3 PCMCIA slot,
> which is a really compact expansion arrangement, and support ATA on
> those. That'll allow simple addition of wireless cards and CF adaptors.
> I have to admit I'm kind of a fan of the PCMCIA form for just about
> everything save stuff that requires dongles.
>
> That setup and integrated bluetooth would make for some pretty minimal
> hardware requirements in the unit, save a bunch of design costs, and
> enable the thing to use a bunch of existing hardware. (You wanna use a
> Firewire hard drive? Get a PCMCIA firewire card and write some drivers.
> Boom. Gigs of external storage for longterm daily data collection.)

Well, why not include FireWire, USB, and power as the ports and AirPort and
Bluetooth internaly. That would take care of almost any expansion need.
There would be no real reason to have a PCMCIA slot at all. Of course,
Apple would probably put some sort of video out combo port on it so that
presentations could be run from it without a laptop. S-Video and VGA out
would cover almost every projector I can think of offhand. Composite video
out could handle the rest.

Of course, if the power is handled through the FireWire and USB ports (a
possible use for that usB/FireWire combo cable?), then they could put
S-video and VGA in the well without needing a dongle.

> > The idea of a screensaver is preposterous if it is going to use an OED
> > display.
>
> Again, my opinion is that I want the device as off as possible when I'm
> not using it. Screensavers and pictures and things are such colossal
> wastes of power and CPU cycles, which = heat in a portable. The last
> thing I wanna see is a palmtop that needs a fan.

I said that mostly in response to the article somewhere that said that when
the user wasn't doing stuff, the device would activate a screen saver and
become a digital photo frame. I really don't want something like that. If
it's mobile, then that would kill the batteries and if it isn't mobile, then
why have a battery? I really can't think of anything other than a battery
that would go into that 66*106mm hole

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html