Re: [NTLK] Apple iPad

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 12:20:53 PST

On 04.4.03 at 09:37:30 -0500, Andrew Thiel wrote:
> I definitely would *not* get the first generation, as in the past when
> the general public hasn't had a chance to monkey-test it, they haven't
> worked out the bugs yet.

Well, there have to be early adopters. I would gladly get one of these the
day they come out if they are Newtons. I would, of course, have to test one
first to make sure it doesn't have DRM (very unlikely) or something else
nasty. It wouldn't be bleeding edge if there weren't bugs.

> Like the OMP for example!

Quite, but as Brian said, there are always firmware updates.

Of course, if the hardware is inherantly flawed (like the PowerBook 5300
series), then Apple would probably replace it at no cost. I just got my
5300c back from them a little while ago. Didn't cost me a dime, and now I
have a nice, new instance of an old PowerBook.

I can't really imagine Apple making the OS on the device burned in ROM. If
they don't have a hard drive in whatever it is, then I would expect at least
FLASH memory so that it could be reflashed with newer system software.

> Let's hope Apple doesn't make the same mistake twice!

Hmm. Someone makes a mistake. Then he makes the same mistake. Then he
makes the same mistake twice. That's three mistakes. Yes, I get what
you're saying, but that gramatical construct has always struck me as odd.

Almost as odd as "twice as small". There can't be a "twice as small"
without defining a reference point. Largeness is relative to 0, but what is
smallness relative to? If it's relative to the size of the object, then
twice as small has no meaning. Kind of like an object twice as large as
something with size zero is still size zero.

> -A

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html