Re: [NTLK] Apple iPad?

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 16:35:28 PST

On 02.4.03 at 21:01:10, Nathan Turnage wrote:
> Apple's new iPad
>
> > Well one big thing that it will have is Bluetooth, and it's also being
> > said that you will be able to stream video from a mac to the tablet,
> > (DVD's, QT movies, etc.) But the screen is going to be smaller than the
> > tablet PC's, still bigger than a newton's though.
>

> Does this mean that this board will become iPad-centric? I just joined
> the game, and I was hoping you guys would still be tinkering on the
> Newton for some time. What will this do to the community built up around
> our beloved little green friend.

Well, I, for one, am not going to give up my Newton. I am excited about the
prospect of Apple finally giving us something after all this time, but my
Newton will always have a use.

If people decide that this device is a Newton, then we will probably discuss
it, but I seriously doubt that it will take over the list. It'll just start
a flurry of activity for a while. That will eventually die down and life
will return to normal. We will just have one more device in the family.

Of course, if it isn't a Newton, then it will probably get its own mailing
list.

And to all those who seem to think that our little green friends will be
around forever, we need to face the fact that hardware fails. We will
eventually need replacements for our Newtons, and this is looking promising.
If someone is able to complete an emulator for the Newton, then they might
outlive us on new hardware, but otherwise, we would be left with a platform
where the last units are slowly, but surely, failing.

> GREEN forever...
>
> Nate

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html