Re: [NTLK] ? about wi-fi networking and the newton

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 12:56:18 PST

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 12:43 PM, Robert Benschop wrote:

> On donderdag, apr 3, 2003, at 22:27 Europe/Amsterdam, Martin Joseph
> wrote:
>
>>> Would it work if the mac was sleeping?
>> I think so, although it must disable deep sleep I guess?
> I thought there was a setting somewhere to make the computer wake up
> for network access...
no that wouldn't work if the airport card was powered off, it only
works for wired ethernet.

>>> Would that be over Appletalk, Rendesvous, TCP/IP? Is there an
>>> explanation of how to do that anywheres?
>> TCP/IP, you go to the System Preferences/Sharing/Internet and
>> enable=20
>> sharing of you airinternet connection over airport.
>
> But setting up the G4 as a Software Base Station (the option is in the
> Airport software) I'm pretty sure you can use AppleTalk as well, though
> I'm still getting the hang of all the networking related stuff as well,
> so don't take my word for it...

OSX only provides for Appletalk over 1 interface. So you could use
appletalk over airport, but then you couldn't use it on the wired
ethernet. Don't know how useful that would be.

Marty

PS A really annoying "feature" of this setup is that you ALWAYS have to
manually re-enable this wireless sharing after a reboot of the OSX box.
  The setting doesn't stick. There is a command line hack available to
make it startup at startup, but YMMV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html