[NTLK] [OT] Presentation sizes (was Soybo)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 06:00:52 PST

on 04/03/03 7:01 AM, Brian at bmcewen_at_comcast.net wrote:

> And I'll submit, about powerpoint presentation sizes, most people using
> powerpoint don't know (diddly/squat) about how to work with graphic images.
> We make presentations all the time that are about 40 slides, with many
> (about half of them) with full screen electron micrograph images, etc (not
> bitmap crap is my point) and properly done the whole thing can fit ON A
> FLOPPY (1.3meg or so). One of my presentations that has 15 seconds of
> video footage in it, would easily fit on a 20 meg flash card. Yet people
> come in with 40 and 50 meg presentations that have just 5 or 10 images in
> them. .sigh. And then wonder why they don't display right every time.

There are three letters that seem to explain that effect (at least in all
the files I've encountered) -- WMF. M$'s made-up non-standard image format
can be an absolute hog. When I open up PPT files on my Mac, I have to sit
through minutes of "Converting WMF graphic" messages, then I save the file
on the Mac and it's 1/10 the size of the Windows version. Also, (and I
think this applies platform-independent) I seem to recall that PowerPoint
does an abysmal job of handling things brought in from FreeHand -- they
sometimes break up into a billion triangles and rectangles and you have to
sit there watching them paint on the screen when that slide comes up. It
*is* somewhat of an art to learn to prune/shrink graphics BEFORE putting
them into PowerPoint. {I guess the other pet peeve is when folks use raw,
uncompressed TIFFs from a scanner at 600 dpi...)

- Eric.

There is never a single right solution. There are always multiple
wrong ones, though.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html