Re: [NTLK] Sync Newton with Mac OS X?

From: Newtvana (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 10:10:45 PDT

On Thursday, September 26, 2002, at 10:04 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>>> Nice idea, but, what happens if you do a hard reset on your Newton?
>>> How
>>> do you get that "SyncX.pkg" back?
>>
>> Just like you would install any pkg. By using NCU or an alternative. Am
>> I missing something? My thought is that SyncX.pkg would simply be a
>> conduit. It would stream the soups that exist on the Newton.
>
> Hmmm, so, it means I still have to keep an OS 9 partition around, just
> for
> running NCU and install SyncX.pkg? Why not using the Dock? It's already
> there...

It's my understanding that software like NewTen and pkginstall could
install items without using NCU, however they still use the Dock on the
Newton side.

However for transferring Data (not packages) in various forms and over
non-AppleTalk based protocols, it will be necessary to create an
alternative to the Dock, hence, SyncX.pkg

So this is what I see as the needs:

Task | Newton pkg | MacOS X app | Via | Over
Pkg X-Fer | Dock or ? | NewTen | AppleTalk | Serial
Pkg X-Fer | Dock or ? | NewTen | ??? | Serial *
Pkg X-Fer | Dock or ? | NewTen | TCP/IP | Ethernet *
Pkg X-Fer | Dock or ? | NewTen | IRDA | IR *
Data Sync | SyncX.pkg | iSync | AppleTalk | Serial *
Data Sync | SyncX.pkg | iSync | ??? | Serial *
Data Sync | SyncX.pkg | iSync | TCP/IP | Ethernet *
Data Sync | SyncX.pkg | iSync | IRDA | IR *

Of course lines with a * are items that don't exist today.

...Ross...

--
What should I do with my life?
          "Agitate. Agitate, Agitate." - Frederick Douglass