Re: [NTLK] Free ISPs that will work on Newtons-Do you need an ISP?

From: Scott Roy Atwood (atwood_at_cs.stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 13:48:29 PDT

* Katarina Gubler <bubbles9413_at_yahoo.com> [020926 20:25]:
> Well, as you can tell, I have no idea what I'm talking about
> when it comes to Newtons....sorry, I'm a newbie! Anyhow, does
> anyone know of a free Internet Service Provider for the Newton?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that question.

> Do you need an Internet Service provider?

If you want to connect to the Internet with your Newton, you will need
some kind of Internet Service Provider. The the proper PCMCIA modem
card and an dialup account with an ISP, you can connect directly from
your Newton. If you have access to an Ethernet or 802.11b network that
is already connected to the Internet, with the proper PCMCIA Ethernet or
802.11b card you can connect your Newton to the Internet that was as
well.

> Is Nethopper enough?

Nethopper is TCP/IP client software, specifically an HTTP 1.0 web
browser. If you want to surf the web from your Newton, you also need
the Newton Internet Enabler, which is a TCP/IP stack for Newton,
appropriate drivers for the type of Internet connection you want to use
(modem, Ethernet, wireless), and access to the Internet, either supplied
by an Internet Service Provider, or by the owner of the Ethernet or
802.11b network you are using.

> Hey, can Nethopper be used on other PDAs?

No. NetHopper only runs on Newton OS devices. However, pretty much all
other PDAs have a web browser available, such as PocketLink on Palm
devices, or Pocket Internet Explorer for Windows CE devices.

-Scott

--
Scott Atwood
atwood_at_cs.stanford.edu