Re: [NTLK] Jaggies on my Newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 21:44:52 PDT

on 25/09/02 23:11, Mick Ring at lists_at_rynosoft.com wrote:

> The jaggies have struck and are quite severe on my MP2100 that I bought on
> eBay some months back. I think it is important to note that I did not begin
> seeing the problem until after I installed a SER001 in it about a month or
> so ago.
>
> I thought I had read here that tightening the back screws too tight might
> cause this but loosening them a bit doesn't seem to affect the problem.
>
> Suggestions?

I'm not sure it would help, but you could run a thin business card around
the edge of the screen, underneath the case. It seems that sometimes, some
small debris underneath the case can apply enough pressure on the screen to
make it behave erratically. There were also reports that a corrupted entry
in the system soup could cause the problem. Finally, what is probably the
most plausible explanation, and that would be more possible since you
mention the problem did occur after installing the SER001 is that, somehow,
the contacts between the sensitive touchscreen and the motherboard are dirty
or, since they're not soldered on the motherboard, there isn't enough or
constant pressure to maintain the contact.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
firebottle n.obs.: A large, primitive, power-hungry active electrical
device, similar in function to a FET but constructed out of glass, metal,
and vacuum. Characterized by high cost, low density, low reliability,
high-temperature operation, and high power dissipation. Sometimes mistakenly
called a `tube' in the U.S. or a `valve' in England; another hackish term is
glassfet.