Re: [NTLK] Quoting (was: Any solutions for a dull screen?)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 12:13:51 PDT

on 9/25/02 2:36 PM, Dave Christensen at dc623_at_mac.com wrote:

> True, clear and conscice replies with just enough of the
> replying to would be the perfect world. Unfortunatly, I
> personally am incapable of being conscice, and often clear also.
>
> I think it would be good to encourage short sig files to go
> with those short messages too. When the sig to reply ratio
> is in excess of 300%, thats a bit much (a 7 line sig to go
> with a 2 line reply). :-)

Just remember that there is an absolute numerical floor set on this (IIRC)
whole quoted/non-quoted ratio stuff. I forget what the size is before the
ratio will get a message bounced, but it saves you from having to worry
issues like "I want to quote two paragraphs, but I only have two lines of
reply". So, when a message is fairly small, there's nothing to worry about.

Worrying about the number of lines of signature block is an anachronism from
the days when the Internet's bandwidth was orders of magnitude lower than it
is today. For those that are downloading onto their Newt, it is courteous
to limit the number of line, but really, the difference between 3 lines of
ASCII and 8 lines of ASCII over a 28.8 connection just isn't that great.
The difference between 15 quoted lines and 150 quoted lines IS, though. Not
to mention the difficulty of scanning the message for the new content while
reading on a Newt...

- Eric.