Re: [NTLK] new iMac and Ram [OT]

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 11:15:13 PDT

At 1:34 PM -0400 9/25/02, Christopher Plummer wrote:
>Thanks but that only gives you access to one DIMM. I need to get at
>the other one. XLR8 had an article but they made no real mention of
>whether or not it voided the warrantee. Anyone have any experience with
>installing the inner DIMM?

    If you the guts out of the case to get to the upper slot (as shown
at
<http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html>),
you will technically void the warranty. Make absolutely sure to use
the thermal paste when reassembling, as shown.

    If you really want to go to 1GB, order the 512MB - 1 DIMM option
for $250, and add your own DIMM to the bottom slot later. I think
your best deal is to order it with the stock 256MB DIMM and add your
own 512MB DIMM, if you can live with a "meager" 768MB total.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.