Re: [NTLK] NCU & NBU Don't

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 16:50:19 PDT

I believe that the original Newton Message pad
connectivity software cannot be used with any newton
using OS 2.0 or greater!
You need to goto UNNA and download a newer version of
NCU.
Secondly, your packages you downloaded are probably
missing the resource fork information. You need to
download a program like PackType to recreate this
information for the Newton software to recognize it.
Btw, both of these questions are well documented in
the archives and the FAQ...just an fyi
Once you get these little things taken care of, you'll
find that the Newt is both "Neat" and "usefull"
Ed (Happy October Fest!)
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Andrew Shlapak <divise_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> Good day!
>
> I've been a Newton user for some time - started with
> the original and
> went to the 2000. However, I've not been able to do
> a back-up using NCU
> 1.0 & NBU 1.0 on an 840av w/ Mac OS 8.1. I'm using
> the serial
> connection. Trying to back-up causes the Mac OS to
> hang or to simply
> disconnect.
>
> Also, I have several generic icons with ".pkg"
> (which are supposed to
> be Newton packages) on the Mac. These files are
> unrecognizable by the
> system.
>
> I have recently renewed my interest in using the
> Newton due to the
> availability of WiFi. I have a Lucent Silver card
> "in the mail". But
> the continued back-up process breaking is again
> pushing the Newton into
> the neat technology, but not very useful category.
>
> I am glad to have located this list and would
> appreciate any advice,
> help and/or suggestions concerning the back-up
> process.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew Shlapak

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party