Re: [NTLK] ATA Driver

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 00:44:36 PDT

À (At) 2:23 -0500 23/09/02, ZUMWALT, DANNY P (SWBT) écrivait (wrote) :
>Anyone know the current workings of the ATA PC card driver? I am new to
>newton, just bought a 2100... I want to be able to use one of those CF card
>converters and bigger flash cards that use the ata format.. anyone had any
>luck?

The current build is beta 14.3. Here are the full details.
This fixes compatibility problems with many cards, although it still
doesn't work with some cards.

I know for sure that it works with:
my 16 MB CF card (Hitachi firmware)
my 15 MB ATA card (Nikon firmware)
Steve Payonzeck's IBM 170 MB Microdrive (didn't work with beta 14)
Ade Ashford's 32 MB Pretec ATA Card (I'm not 100% sure about it) (idem)

It doesn't work with:
Carsten Lemmen's Nikon 8MB (Sundisk firmware) and his 64 MB (forgot the brand)
Henning Theune's SanDisk
Jeremy Bond Shepherd's 64 MB Toshiba Compact Flash card

I may have some bug that makes linear cards read only under some
circumstances (unconfirmed)
I do have a problem with transactions, but I'm fixing it (apparently,
I didn't understand properly what NewWithinTransaction,
AddToCurrentTransaction and SeparatelyAbort should do).
I may have another data corruption problem (it might be only linked
with the previous issue).

Current driver's version is 14.4 (added some workarounds for bugs in
ATA cards firmwares), but I'm the only one who tested it.

Beta 14.4 also brings more bug fixes and some nice GUI improvements
(there is an Unmount modal dialog now that lasts until the store is
completely unmounted, so once it's gone you can safely remove the
card).
Actually, if I'm happy with the fixes in the transaction engine, it
will be beta 15 (i.e. a public beta).

In summary:
I'm working on compatibility problems. However, I have no idea of the
current amount of cards that work versus the cards that don't work. I
won't switch back to the old versions of the driver anyway.
I'm also working on fixing data corruption problems.

Once data corruption problems seems to be fixed (all my tests pass)
and it works fine with my cards, I'll use it myself on my dedicated
webserver Newton. And it will go RC1 soon afterwards.
You see, I stupidly thought that everyone respected the standards and
I discovered this week-end that it is far from being true. There are
even webpages that mention usual bugs in firmwares. To get every card
working, I might need to have every card for testing purposes, which
I can't afford yet. So I'll get a maximum amount of cards working
with the help of beta testers, I'll set up some database on my
website so you can know before buying if a card works or not (the
best is definitely to test it in the store if it's possible) and I'll
work later on adding compatibility with other cards. Sounds like a
good deal.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/