[NTLK] Macintalk madness - send us your comments, terms and conditions

From: Blair Rosser (newton_at_7thfloormedia.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 21:59:04 PDT

I'm compiling a list of any and all words my Newt will speak to me in "a
special way".

If anyone has some funny, unusual, and/or just plain annoying examples you'd
like to share with me (and the list), thanks in advance.

For example, get Newt to pronounce "press" ... comes out as "president". I
had Newt read me Don Quixote (wonderful book!), and I had to get used to all
the "Senors" turning into "Senators". Al-Qaida comes out as Al-Rayda ...
it's like I have my very own Sancho Panza (it would take too long to explain
this reference if you didn't get it).

I would dare to say that I am near fanatical with my use of Macintalk on the
Newt. Since getting the 2000u in March, I've had it read me at least 4
novels, and countless news articles and essays (batch scheduled in Newtscape
and processed into NewtWorks). I even modified the innards (technical term)
and added a mini stereo jack so I can listen on the bus, and while going for
runs. Most people cannot bear to listen to these voices for any length of
time, so I'm sure I'm in a very small minority - even among Newton users.

So, perhaps I am uniquely qualified to uncover many of this "never released"
version of Macintalk's most interesting nervous ticks.

blair