Re: [NTLK] Where's OS 9

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 06:40:25 PDT

on 9/16/02 2:03 AM, Miguel Marcos at mmarcos_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> OS9 is dead starting 2003. No new models will boot OS9 at all:
> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/sep/10macosx.html
>
> I'm assuming new models means new incarnations of hardware and not existing
> incarnations that are still sold after Jan 1, but I fear I may be wrong.

Your assumption is correct. After all, it would be too much hassle to start
changing things to disable OS9 booting when you're coming out with new
hardware anyway. And, to be honest, it may very well be that Macs coming
out in January (and for a bit longer) could still boot into OS9, just that
it won't be supported. I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising soul
doesn't figure out the appropriate files from the Classic environment and
transplant them into 9.2.2, such that a newer Mac could still boot into
OS9...

- Eric.