Re: [NTLK] INSTALL PROBLEM -> Newton Connection Utilities - SOLVED!

From: [bri cors] (bri_at_nerdtech.com)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 14:11:26 PDT

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Gregory J. Wayman wrote:

> This is what I am TRYING to do
> When you inserted your DWL-650 , do you get any indicator lights on the card
> as far as power or link? (I dont)
>
> I'd be intrested on your setup in both Hiroshis card slip and how your
> Airport/Router is setup

I have an Asante DSL/Cable Modem Router - that I am having dole out DHCP
addresses to my home computers for my DSL connection.

When I insert the D-Link card into the 2100, I see a little slip that
pops up, telling me the kind of card that it is, and a box to click to
use Appletalk. It says that I have a Version 01.02 card. There is also a
"Setup" button.

I click on the "Setup" button on the same slip, and make sure that my
Netowrk name is in the SSID space. I am not using WEP yet - but will be
soon. Mode is Infrastructure.

I have an Internet Setup for "Home", with the DWL-650 selected.
        Configuration: DHCP Server
        Card: D-Link DWL-650
        Domain Name: [inserted my prover DNS name]

Then, in my Owner Info slip, I have a worksite called "Home". Click on
"Show all info" and then I added an Internet Setup - [the Home one that
I set up].

In Classic in OS X, I opened up the Chooser, and enabled Appletalk.

Then, I opened Newton Connection Utilities and selected Appletalk for the
way to connect, and left it open.

I then clicked on the Dock slip on the Newton, and selected:
        Connect via: Appletalk
        Connect to: Home

When you click on the "Connect to" pull-down, I selected the "Home"
option, and then I then clicked on "Other computer".

The Newton then opened a little window that showed my desktop computer
[that has Newton Connection Utilities open and running on Appletalk].

I picked my desktop computer in the window on the Newton, and everything
connected like it should.

Thats about it.

If you are seeing no lights at all on the card, it could
be a bum card maybe?

Also, whenever I configure a new worksite, and in turn, a new 802.11 WLAN
setup with Hiroshi's driver, I remove and re-install the card... Not
sure if that really DOES anything, other than give it a fresh start, so
to speak...

Good luck!