[NTLK] coming back to the fold

From: TT Mooney (ttmooney_at_dilettantism.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 01:08:51 PDT

so, i admit that i was a fair-weather newton user. fine. my 2000 with
upgrade went away to buy my first powerbook g3.

but, with the current prices for upgraded 2000s on ebay, i've
fair-weathered my way straight back into the newton community. and i'm
excited, in a way that i haven't been in a long time.

i have a couple of questions, though. hopefully y'all will be able to
help out.

1) is serial really the only starting point? i was hoping to find out
that ethernet drivers were built-in for some cards and thus i could
skip getting the serial gear, which of course didn't come with the
newton i bought.

2) is there any real reason to spend a load of cash on a newton power
adapter rather than getting a cheaper generic one?

3) what software does everyone consider essential? i'd love to have
imap, ssh, web (with tables and maybe frames) and vnc for communication
needs, a learning remote program and other cool stuff.

4) what are the options for backup and install under macos x? are npi
and nbu working under classic? who wants to write the isync driver?

5) are there any friendly apple certified service providers on the list?

btw -- in the time since i had my 2000, i've had (in no particular
order) a palm iiixe, an erickson t38m phone and an ipod. i got rid of
the palm and ipod, still have the phone (well, it's a phone, right?)
and haven't been excited about a computer, even though my ibook is
nice, in a long time. active development of 802.11 and serial ata,
along with the online community, have lured me back to the green.

thanks.

travis

******
"I am, straight up, discontented." -- Matt Procida