Re: [NTLK] [OT] Mac collections (was something to trade)

From: Gregory Sahli (sahlgre_at_iit.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 14:35:15 PDT

Grant replied:
>> Rumor has it there are a lot of Lisa's and Lisa spare parts in a landfill
>> somewhere in the bay area, d'oh.
>> <snip>... Now back to the salt mine.
>>
>>Interesting you should say this as the buried Lisas are actually located in
>>Utah. They couldn't get rid of them so they buried their remaining inventory
>>and wrote it off.
>
>A humbling picture.
>
>http://lisa.sunder.net/mirrors/Simon/Lisa/Fate.html
>
>g.

Folks, this "landfill stuff" reminds me of an interesting situation when I
worked at Apple (94-95).
Guys who worked for me at the SACTO factory (Equipment Support) told me they
heard (from friends in shipping) that 2,000 Newton MP110s were being sent to
a landfill. They were hopping mad that the company didn't issue every TECH a
Newton, so that "we can enter historical information in the Newton and
upload it to a database at the end of every shift."
I was a newbie and didn't even know who to ask about getting the Newtons, so
I didn't........ I'd never even seen a Newton! If I only knew then what I
know now about Newtons.....
So, my question is, have any of you heard this story about landfill Newtons
(approx Sept '94)?
Greg