[NTLK] WEP not working after WaveLAN firmware upgrade

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 01:51:07 PDT

I just used my G4 at work today to upgrade the firmware on my two Lucent
WaveLAN Silver cards. I downloaded the latest Airport software update from
Apple (didn't have the software installed because there was no AirPort card
in it).

I used a PC laptop with ORINOCO drivers to check the WaveLan cards before
and after I had used them on the G4. They went from firmware version 8.12,
to firmware 8.40.

I have been using an Apple AirPort Base Station (graphite) to connect to my
wired network. The Base Station had WEP enabled and was working great with
the Newtons before I upgraded the firmware in the WaveLAN cards.

Now, the only way I can connect is to disable WEP on the Base Station.

Anyone else had this problem or know the solution?

P.S. If the WaveLAN cards support 128bit encription now, how would I know?
And, could this be affecting my problem above?

Thanks in advance for any replies.