Re: [NTLK] Moving Locked Packages & Memory Management

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 08:17:13 PDT

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Hennessy, Kevin F (Kevin F) wrote:

> I'm running out of memory trying to load additional (new) packages on to
> the Newton.
<snip snip, it's a 2100>
> Well I'm trying to free up more internal memory space, but when I try to
> move some big packages to the Card, I get the response "This icon can't be
> filed because it is copy protected." I'm trying to move the big items, like
> NIE, NIE modem & Serial Mod, EnRoute Core, EnRoute Internet, etc. with no
> luck.
>
> So can copy protected packages be moved to the Card? If so how?

Yes. You first need to install a little package called EEunprotect:

http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/system_enhancements/EEUnProtect/

Thsi will allow you to move "copy-protected" packages. After you install
it, just try moving them again and it will now work.

> When downloading packages, can I force re-load them onto the Card to avoid
> the "copy protection" issue, if so how do you force package loading onto
> card?

To force a package to install onto a card, you must have the "Save all new
data and packages onto this card" checkbox checked in the Card's slip
(shown when you insert the card, or launch the slip from Extras). This
won't change its copy-protection status, though.

If you have packages on the desktop that install copy-protected, you can
use NewtPackageFlags (for PC) or ??? (for Mac) to change its flags,
including the copy-protection bit:

http://www.chuma.org/code/newton/pkgflags/

> How can one tell if a certain package must stay in Internal memory (other
> then the built-in tag)?

Typically, such packages will not allow themselves to be installed on a
card (if they were programmed to check).