Re: [NTLK] localization of newton OS?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 10:50:22 PDT

>I got a Newton 2k with US OS. Is there a way to switch to german OS?
>I don't care if I can get the US OS back again after I installed the
>german OS.
>
>Are there advantages / disadvantages of having the OS localized?

There are differences between NewtonOS 2.1 German or French or US.
They mostly concern, beyond localization of text, the printing
recognizer (Paragraph) which cannot recognize accents or umlauts on
the US model (actually, I don't know for the French model) and the
dictionary for recognition.

However, you cannot change the OS. It is on a ROM Board. The only way
is to take a German ROM Board and put it into your US MP2x00.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/