[NTLK] SyncML iSync and Outlook (via XTNDConnect) synchronization

From: Trent Tuggle (tuggle_at_acusoft.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 13:19:31 PDT

Hello,

I'm interested in building a new solution for synchronization of the Newton
using the lastest standard, which appears to be SyncML.

I've been in contact with Extended Systems (XTNDConnect SyncML s/w under
Windows) and I know I've seen several people interested in SyncML (iSync)
solutions on the Mac.

I am an accomplished software developer on several platforms, including UNIX
and Windows NT, but unfortunately, not the Newton platform. The Newton
seems to have several major obsticles to overcome from a developers point of
view. (maybe more about this later) I am able to perform software design
work and C++ programming, but that doesn't seem to be very relavent when it
comes to the Newton side.

I've emailed several people in this matter including:

* Gerd Uitdewilligen, Extended Systems Hardware Product Manager (XTNDConnect
SyncML solutions for Windows)
* Bradley Smith, developer of Notes To Notes, who is pursuing a MS Outlook
on Windows sync solution.
* Andy Hakim, who is interested in a SyncML/iSync Mac solution.

There are several things I'd like to learn. First, is anyone else
interested in contributing time or resources to help develop a solution.
Next, (maybe this should be first), is it helpful for us to "band together"
and try to organize the development of a solution for this? Would those
involved be willing and interested in "banding together" to accomplish this
task? Finally, what type of support can we get including commercial
(Extended Systems) and platform (iSync on Mac) integration help.

As a final note, I'm not necessarily trying to spearhead this effort or step
on anyone's toes; I'm only interested in finding out the current state of
synchronization, what resources are available, and what direction would be
best towards the future!

Thanks everyone for your time.

-Trent Tuggle

P.S. You know, someone should set up a public Newton Wiki for us all! I'd
do it, but I don't have private web resources available at this moment.