Re: [NTLK] Meetings in Hand -- and other AbandonWare

From: Trent Tuggle (tuggle_at_acusoft.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 12:46:15 PDT

This raises a point with me: It appears that there are several programs
which have been completely discontinued and abandoned, but the author
decided to take the software and bury it instead of sharing it.

Is this kind of thing popular to do on the Macintosh platform? Not too many
pieces of PC or UNIX software are treated this way... often you'll find a
piece of software which is donated to the public when the author tires of
supporting it. Why are there so many pieces for the Newton where the
authors have decided to jump off the ship and take the software down with
them, ensuring that their effort is entirely wasted. Nobody can benefit
from that can they?

Are any of these cases simply a matter of the author not knowing that anyone
still cares for the Newton anymore? Could we contact those authors and let
them know that they can still impact the community if they give up their
software rather than burying it? Do you think some of those authors would
be amenable to such an idea?

-Trent Tuggle