Re: [NTLK] Newton newbie

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 06:33:24 PDT

on 06/09/02 09:22, Michael Sciascia at msciascia_at_poc.it wrote:

> On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 03:04 , Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>>
>> You're exactly right. That's the chicken and egg problem. If you had
>> someone
>> with a Newton near you, they could load the packages you need on an
>> external
>> flash RAM card that you could then use. If that is not an option, then,
>> yes,
>> IrDA is a possibility. You need to have a Macintosh that is IrDA
>> capable and
>> the Newton DIL Tester from Thomas Tempelmann <http://www.tempel.org/>.
>>
>> Or, you'll need to get a USB to Serial adapter, or a LocalTalk to
>> Ethernet
>> bridge, like the AsanteTalk.
>>
>> -Laurent.
>>
> My Titanium has the irDA and it works also on OS X 10.1.5, so I should
> be able to tranfer data to the newton with this system.
> If it won't work I will just buy the serial cable (quite hard to find
> with the adapter) and transfer drivers and packages with my old Performa
> or Classic ;-)
> Anyway I would certainly prefer to find another solution, and the irDa
> seems to be my best option.
> I also looked for the ethernet adapter on the web site you suggested me,
> but couldn't find anything. is there a place were it is quite easy to
> find Newton accessories other than ebay?
> But if I buy a Flash RAM or other support can I load by myself the data
> to the Newton? And not just to add packages and drivers, but also for
> future use?
> How can i give the Newton storage capabilities (floppy, compact flash,
> etc)?
>
> thanks for the kindness and patience but everything is still so
> confusing for me.
> maybe i should just wait for the Newton to arrive and then worry about
> all these things, but I would also be able to use it as soon as
> possible :-)
>
> Ciao,
> Michael

For a cheap Ethernet adapter, try Computer-Show, in the network adapters for
laptop
<http://www.computer-show.com/Modern/items.asp?CartId=200863MQJZK99&Cc=NET02
>.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the
programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or
her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of
scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large
ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style:
brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of
repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute
force and ignorance).