Re: [NTLK] dongle-less pkg install...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 17:54:54 PDT

on 04/09/02 19:35, Steve Tedder at stedder_at_cox.net wrote:

> There are two other methods for installing software on a 2x00 without a
> dongle that I haven't seen mentioned in the recent discussions. If you
> can buy, borrow, or steal a 120/130, you can 1) copy packages to the
> 120 with an ordinary serial cable, and then beam them to the 2x00, or
> 2) put a memory card in the 120, copy packages to the 120 being sure
> they go on the card, then pull the card and put it in the 2x00. This
> latter method is particularly useful for copy-protected packages like
> NS BASIC, which don't allow you to beam them from one Newt to another.

However, some packages that are not supposed to run on lesser models won't
be installed. I believe that I've read somewhere that, for instance, some
packages that were part of NIE 2.0 (which requires NOS 2.1) wouldn't install
and the user would get a message saying so. I'm not positively sure, but it
is a possibility.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
cargo cult programming n.: A style of (incompetent) programming dominated by
ritual inclusion of code or program structures that serve no real purpose. A
cargo cult programmer will usually explain the extra code as a way of
working around some bug encountered in the past, but usually neither the bug
nor the reason the code apparently avoided the bug was ever fully understood
(compare shotgun debugging, voodoo programming).