[NTLK] OT: Airplane security (was Travel and the Newt

From: James Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 10:35:24 PDT

> BTW, I agree that examining by hand would make more sense.

  Not to step on any political toes here, but..

  Yeah, if you think about it it would, but since when did most of the
regulations put in palce since 9/11 really make sense. 9/11 wouldn't have
*happened* if either 1) the guards had noticed people carrying *multiple*
box cutters on board, and/or 2) they had been allowed a little discretion
for people with *mutilple* under 4-inch blades. Having 1 2-inch
pocket-knife might be okay (pre-9/11 that, exercising common sense), but
not having 3 of them (I don't know the exact number). And while a
box-cutter does have an under 4-inch blade, who needs a *box cutter* on a
plane??

  Not that I'm terribly ungreatful for the new-found sense of urgency, but
making a mother drink her own breast-milk to prove it's not white-colored
poison in a baby-bottle is just absurd.. This reportedly actually
happened. Just think, if it actually *had* been a fast-acting nerve agent
that would diffuse rapidly (it'd have to be, unless someone wanted to
somehow get it into the plane's air system), it probably would have
injured a great number of people in the terminal..

Jim