Re: [NTLK] Travel and the Newt

From: Alexander Schreiber (als_at_thangorodrim.de)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 06:09:50 PDT

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 01:53:08PM -0500, Rolf Brakvatne wrote:

> This may have been addressed before. Is there any danger of having a
> Newt go through airport scanners?

I've been through Frankfurt/Main (Germany) and Dublin (Ireland) with my
MP2100 in his BurroPak on my person/in the carry-on luggage. No
problems, wasn't even asked to turn it on. This was post 2001-09-11.
With my MP130 (usually stored in an inner pocket of whatever jacket I was
wearing) I went through Frankfurt/Main (Germany), Dublin (Ireland) and
Amsterdam (Netherlands) airports with no questions asked.

It always went through the X-ray check - no problems.

In my (limited) experience, the smaller and less important an airport
is, the more anal the security folks get. On the small Dresden (Germany)
airport the metal detector triggered on my steel toed boots and I was
asked into a small rom on the side and had to hand over my boots to a
security drone to put them through a scanner. With Dublin and Amsterdam
it was sufficient to point out the steel caps in the boots, the security
drones handchecked me (basically waved the small handhel metal detector
over me), found as promised and waved me through. This was three years ago.

Regards,
      Alex.

 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison