Re: [NTLK] remote access

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 04:07:40 PDT

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Michael Blazer wrote:

> on 2002/08/10 8:58 PM, Victor Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
>
> >> Is it possible to synch the Newton by using a modem to modem connection.
> >
> > No. NCU doesn't know how to answer.
> >

> I'm hesitant to disagree with Victor on anything technical (hence the 3-week
> delay in responding), and my memory on this is pretty fuzzy because I
> haven't used modems on desktops very much in recent years, but ... I think
> this should be possible with a Mac.
>
> In MacOS 7 & 8 days there definitely was a way to establish an AppleTalk
> network over a modem-to-modem connection between two Macs. I think you used
> something called ARA (Apple Remote Access) Server. I'm pretty sure it's
<snip>
> So, if your Mac dials into a host Mac running ARA, and if the host is also
> running NCU, and if NCU is set to listen on AppleTalk, and if your Newton
> has an AppleTalk connection with the client Mac (either via serial,
> localtalk or ethernet), then I think the NCU on the host Mac would talk to
> the Newton hanging off the client Mac. As long as there's a live AppleTalk
> connection (which ARA takes care of), then NCU shouldn't care what medium
> AppleTalk is running over, whether LocalTalk, ethernet, or modem, or any
> combination thereof.

Being a non-Mac user, I had no idea that existed, Michael. It sounds
pretty cool and technically sound. I had a look through both the MP2000
User's Guide and the NCU 1.0 Mac manual and neither of them made any
mention of ARA. The 2000 User's Guide gave some very brief instructions
on connecting via Modem ("enter the number and press Connect") but the NCU
manual didn't mention it at all.

Hrm. Maybe we'll have to look into this ARA thing - or can someone else
here give us some more info?