Re: [NTLK] Why won't my newt charge??

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 10:04:45 PDT

On 02/09/02 11:18, "Andrew Roland" <roland2_at_m-net.arbornet.org> wrote:

> I'm wondering if there is a special procudure or something that I need to do
> to make my upgraded 2000 charge its batteries. I'm using the 4AA battery cage,
> and the power adapter to an older messagepad. Do I need to buy a newer power
> adapter?

You cannot recharge rechargeable batteries in the regular battery tray. The
Newton needs to know what kind of battery are inserted. So, when you use the
Newton rechargeable battery pack, it depresses a little switch in the Newton
to let it know that the batteries can be recharged, while the battery tray,
which is supposed to contain alkalines won't depress that switch. It was
designed so that the Newton wouldn't try to recharge regular alkalines,
which could cause an explosion. So, you need whether a Newton genuine
rechargeable battery pack or you will have to recharge your rechargeable
batteries in the charger that came with them, or you'll need to get a
charger.

-Laurent.

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead
anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually
point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed
to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a
generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number
for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer.
Compare dead link.