[NTLK] yet another newbie/beginner's faq?

From: Keith DuFresne (kdufresne_at_virid.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 06:33:57 PDT

Hi,

I too have recently joined the ranks of the Newton owners after wanting one
for so many years now. Learning about its ethernet capabilities pushed me
over the edge and I now own a 2100. I'm amazed at how many people in the
past few days have introduced themselves as new owners, it's no surprise
that the community continues to flourish.

Like many other new owners, I'm struggling with the ways that I am able to
connect to my Newton via either my WinXP box or a Mac. Scouring the FAQs
has really produced more questions than answers and I was wondering if
someone had written a FAQ detailing what a new "barebones" Newton owner
needs to know in order to get everything set up.

As mentioned earlier, this is a chicken and egg problem where I don't have
the drivers on my Newton needed to connect to either of my desktop machines
yet I have the serial cable as well as one of the supported Ethernet cards.
Is there a FAQ out there outlining the steps required for the people who
have purchased a system off eBay with no software? I have read several of
the FAQs and there just doesn't seem to be a definitive guide for how to do
this. Everything assumes the Newton is right out of the box.

Thank you in advance!

keith.